History Of Pultusk
A town is Warsaw (Warszawa) province, Poland
Although there were some Jews in Pultusk in 1486, a settlement as such did not develop because of the privilege de non tolerandis judaeis granted to the Masovia region during the 16th century by the Polish King Sigismund II Augustus. Even temporary residence for Jews was authorized only by special permit. The prohibition was temporarily abrogated after the Grand Duchy of Warsaw was created in 1807 but renewed with the establishment of the Polish Kingdom in 1815, according to the decision of the Congress of Vienna. The decree was finally abolished in 1866. During the 19th century the Jewish population increased; there were 118 Jews in 1810 (5.1% of the total population), 4,769 in 1856, and 6,950 (45.7%) in 1909. During World War I many Jews fled to Warsaw, so that by 1921 the number had decreased to 5,919 (about 46% of the total population). In independent Poland the Jewish population rose again and by 1931 there were 8,300 Jews (49.2% of the total) in the town.
Despite its proximity to Warsaw, Pultusk did not develop as a center of commerce and crafts mainly because it was removed from railway junctions. Nevertheless, a considerable number of Jews were craftsmen, particularly tailors. Because of the surrounding forests, there were a number of sawmills so that carpentry as well as trade in wood and furniture developed. However, economic difficulties led many Jews to emigrate. In 1894 many wealthy Jews left when a cholera epidemic broke out. During the 19th century the community supported various activities, the most important of which was social relief to the needy. Between the two world wars a Jewish educational program was developed. It attracted most of the community’s elementary and secondary school students. Jews were represented in the municipal administration; about one-half of the delegates elected in 1922 and 1927 were Jews.
The leadership of the Jewish community itself was elected democratically for the first time in 1927. It’s 12 members consisted of representatives of the craftsmen (5), zionists (3), and Agudat Israel (4). In 1931 the community elected four Zionists, one member each of the Mizrachi, Po’alei Agudat Israel, and independent parties and two Gur (Goraz Kalvarya) Chasidim.
The oldest synagogue was erected between 1805 and 1815. It burnt down and was rebuilt in 1854. Among the rabbis of Pultusk were Rabbi Joshua Trunk (from 1853 to 1861), Rabbi Chanokh Zundel ben Jacob Grodzinski, who belonged to the Mitnagedim (appointed in 1878), and Rabbi Chayyim Meshullam Ha-Cohen (1909 to 1929). Known for his Zionist tendencies, the last rabbi of Pultusk was Rabbi Israel Ber Lowenthal, who emigrated to Palestine at the outbreak of World War II and died there in 1942.
The Holocaust period:
The city was captured by the Germans on September 7, 1939, and by September 11, 14 Jews had been shot. During the holiday of Sukkot, 1939, the Germans deported all the Jews to the other side of the Narev River, in the Soviet Zone of occupation. All Jewish property was looted, and on the way to the border Jews were maltreated and many were killed. Many of the deportees found temporary shelter in Bialystok and surrounding cities under the Soviet Administration, where they were subjected to administrative restrictions and met with difficulties in finding housing and work. In the summer of 1940 many were deported to the Soviet interior.